Santiago Chile

Santiago Chile

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

August 10, 2015 - Noche Ancestral

Hola familia y amigos,

This week was crazy with all of the things that happened, so let me start with the beginning of the week.

On Monday, I sent a letter to L and C because Elder Muñoz wrote me to tell me that they got sealed in the Santiago Temple this past Friday!!!! BEST NEWS EVER!!! I am so happy for them, and I feel so blessed to have been a part of their conversion.
Elder Williams, Elder Munoz . C and L are second and third from the right.

Tuesday we taught English to P and J. Last Friday we showed up to teach them and I was feeling a little sick. Tuesday P showed up to pick us up and he was sick...with the same symptoms as me....and then on Sunday I got a message from J that she was sick as well...with the same symptoms as P...I am a monster.

We met with J Tuesday night. She travels to Santiago this weekend, and we taught her about the temple. She said she was going to visit it, but she didn't want to go inside and do baptisms. She feels that she needs a little bit more time. We were a little bummed because the temple is far away and this is her only chance for a while, but at least she is going to visit it and do a tour.

On Wednesday I learned how to bear my testimony in Rapanui. Look out Bothell Ward when I get back! 

On Thursday we had a lesson with a less active member named M. We have taught her about 4 times in the span of 4 months. She is fighting, for the fifth time, cancer. We taught her about Joseph Smith, and the restoration and she told us at the end of the lesson that all of the times we have visited her she was really testing us to see how we were as missionaries. She told us that she has known a lot of missionaries that stop by her house one time, tell her to go to church, she doesn't go, and they never stop by again. She said that we were the first missionaries in a while that demonstrated that we really cared for her. She also told us that she intentionally didn't receive us some days, just to see if we would come back again. She told us that she would say things to challenge our testimonies to see if we were really believing in what we teach. She said she hadn't felt a love for her like that in a long time, and now she wants to come back to church. She is trying to stop smoking, so we still have a bit of a battle with that.

That night we went to Aunt P's house. She is T and J's mom, and it was her birthday. Her birthday is the 6th of August and my mom's birthday is the 5th of August, so I was thinking about my mommy that night. 

On Saturday, we had our Noche Ancestral, which was a ward activity to teach people about Family Search. We were praying the whole week so it wouldn't rain, and it didn't! We had a BBQ and Elder E and I taught a presentation about Family Search. During the presentation we had members share stories about their ancestors and other members prepared musical numbers from their respective cultures. Elder Swan and I sang "Swing Low Sweet Chariot". It was a big hit, and it was a lot of fun. Some investigators called and to say they couldn't come, so that was a little lame, but all in all the activity was a success.

Saturday night we received a text message from L saying that he is "retiring from the church". He said he needs some time to work some personal things out, so he doesn't want to participate in the church anymore. That took us completely by surprise. We visited him yesterday, but he didnt receive us, so we are going to try again during the week. Pray for L.

Last night, we were invited to Cl´s house. He is an investigator of the other Elders. we made pancakes for him. It was a jolly old time.

This week was definitely eventful, and I think one of the highlights was studying a talk by President Eyring about priesthood and prayer. I experimented with my prayers this week, and as I did so, I could feel a greater spirit in my life. I am so thankful that we, as children of God, can communicate with our Father through prayer. I know that He listens, and that He loves us.

love,

Elder Williams                                                                                               
L and C at the Santiago Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment